Latest updates from Oasis Land and The Cayman Islands

Cayman Islands Review Immigration Policy

Cayman Islands Review Immigration Policy

The Cayman Islands cabinet members are pressing ahead for an immigration reform, expected to be brought into the legislative assembly in the Cayman Islands next month (October 2013).

Currently the Cayman Islands work to a system often known as the “rollover policy”, which allows non-Caymanian workers residing on the islands, a 7-year limit on their stay. This policy is set to be scrapped and replaced. The cabinet initially proposed a new 10-year limit to be put into place, however the 10-year proposal was not accepted, with the discussion of a 9-year limit underway.

The new proposed 9 year rollover policy, will allow non-Caymanian workers the opportunity to apply for permanent residency after being on islands for 8 years, giving them the chance to remain on the islands for the rest of their lives.

Non-Caymanian workers who are currently in the Cayman Islands on 7-year term limits exemption permits, will be allowed to resume holding a work permit under the new changes. However current workers must be aware there will be a time limit on their application for permanent residence.

As of September 16th 2013, exactly 1,510 workers, currently in the Cayman Islands, would have been required to leave the islands on October the 28th which is when the current term limit is valid until, but as the switch-over is too close to the likely passage of the immigration amendment bill, such workers will be given until the 9th December 2013. Business employers will need to apply for new work permits on their behalf.

The full text of the Immigration [Amendment] [No. 2] Bill was sent to local lawmakers late Friday night. The proposal will head to the Legislative Assembly following the approval of the 2013/14 budget, according to Premier Alden McLaughlin.

Permanent residents will also be monitored and required to declare their investments, employment and other factors on an annual basis and inform the relevant immigration board or chief immigration officer if there is any change to their employment situation.